Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Review - Inseption


Short Version: Best movie of the year. Go see it soon. If you don’t like this, you don’t like movies.

Grade: A+

Inception is a mind bender of a film. But I mean that in a good way. I don’t mean confusing; I just mean that it’s quite a ride. The concept is probably more original than anything that has come around in quite a while and the tone of the film is perfect for the kind ofAvant-garde sci-fi that it is. I say sci-fi but to put a label of genre on this film would be impossible. It is an amalgamation of JAMES BOND and THE MATRIX with a touch of HEAT thrown in for good measure. And on top of all of that it is a very compelling Character drama. We’ll call it an existential, sci-fi, art house, heist film.
The film opens with an excellent teaser that you could never predict before watching but that doesn’t seem out of the blue by the time you get to the end. All is explained but without unnecessary or dull expositional dialog and the movie folds and unfolds beautifully creating a very engaging and entertaining experience. It is the rare intelligent summer blockbuster. And it is especially welcome in a summer that has been quite sparse on quality this year.

The Bad: Nothing.

The Good: EVERYTHING! Seriously, I can’t remember the last movie I saw that was this good (perhaps Book of Eli). It had a very strong cast headed up by Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt (a personal favorite of mine), Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard and Ellen Page. All of whom do brilliant work in the movie. The characters that have smaller parts, (Ken Watanabe, Michal Kane, Cillian Murphy, Dileep Rao, and Pete Postlethwaite) are all great as well. The cinematography is beautiful. The effects and set pieces are of the highest quality and all handled so well that every bit seems like reality, which is something that serves the dreamscape setting of the film perfectly and gives the movie a necessarily eerie and trippy feel. There is a scene in the movie with Joseph Gordon-Levitt getting into what can only be described as a tumbling zero-g fist fight. And it alone is reason enough to see this movie.
The whole film is just as much of an experience as James Cameron’s AVATAR without needing to be completely C.G.I.’ed and 3D’d up. Not that I consider those things to be bad, I’m just impressed that there are still those around who don’t feel a need to use those techniques in all of their movies and more impressed that they are right.
I had a hell of a time at the theater on this one. I was drawn into the movie so much that when it ended and I left the theatre I wasn’t sure where I was or which hallway to walk down in order to find the parking lot. I highly recommend that everyone see this movie and enjoy themselves, it could be a while before another one of these comes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment